Book Triage.
I changed the privacy settings of the blog -- for a little while, at least -- because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you this. But anyhow.
So, remember Naomi Schor (may her memory be a blessing)? Scholar, theorist, co-founder of differences, died in 2001? She left her papers and books to the Pembroke Center. The archives took what they wanted, and four of us are left to sift through the over eight hundred books left. Important or special books -- things with loving inscriptions from Derrida, Butler, Scott, and others -- are set aside. (Also, those with letters or emails tucked inside that reveal private dramas -- which are obscenely exciting.) And the rest? Up for grabs. So I now have a small library of books with Naomi Schor's marginal notes in them.
Swoon.
EDITED TO ADD:
Tamar says hi, and asked after both of you.
So, remember Naomi Schor (may her memory be a blessing)? Scholar, theorist, co-founder of differences, died in 2001? She left her papers and books to the Pembroke Center. The archives took what they wanted, and four of us are left to sift through the over eight hundred books left. Important or special books -- things with loving inscriptions from Derrida, Butler, Scott, and others -- are set aside. (Also, those with letters or emails tucked inside that reveal private dramas -- which are obscenely exciting.) And the rest? Up for grabs. So I now have a small library of books with Naomi Schor's marginal notes in them.
Swoon.
EDITED TO ADD:
Tamar says hi, and asked after both of you.

2 Comments:
Wow Kate, wow.
Any extra books with Derrida inscriptions ;)?
What a fascinating (and difficult) task that must be!
What's yr timeline for moving?
Give Tamar my love,
Chloe
Congratulations, Kate! What are some of the highlights from that small fortune? (I'm officially awfully jealous.)
Also, tell Tamar that it's been scientifically proven that she's the best. <3
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home